We've got together a really practical workshop: Brad's in-depth session into responsive design and the principles of atomic design.
The workshop lasts a full day, lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Everything You Wanted to Know About Responsive Design...And Less!
...is a full-day masterclass that takes a deep dive into the world of responsive web design, covering everything including broad concepts, strategy, how responsive design affects process, responsive design patterns and principles, and more.
Oh, and the "...And Less" part? Responsive design is a huge topic so unfortunately it's impossible to pack everything about it into a single day. But that doesn't mean we can't try, right? Here's what will be covered:
- The ever-shifting landscape – The web landscape is getting more diverse every single day, and this section will address why responsive web design is becoming increasingly essential
- Approach – There's more than one way to skin this mobile web cat. We'll look at the various strategies being used to approach the multi-device Web landscape.
- Foundations of Responsive Design – Responsive web design 101. Fluid grids, flexible media and media queries make up the core of responsive web design.
- Principles of Adaptive Design – What beyond layout do we need to concern ourselves with when creating great multi-device web experiences? We'll cover how ubiquity, flexibility, performance, enhancement and future-friendliness are powerful principles for making great adaptive web experiences.
- Atomic Design – We’ll talk about the importance of creating systems rather than pages, and I’ll introduce atomic design, a methodology for creating robust interface design systems. I’ll also introduce Pattern Lab, a tool for creating your very own custom interface pattern library.
- Strategy and Workflow – Our websites are now fluid, so our process and workflow needs to be fluid as well. We’ll talk about how to tackle thorny areas like convincing clients and colleagues, getting designers and developers working and discuss tools and techniques to effectively design in the Post-PSD Era.
- Responsive Patterns – Creating adaptive interfaces is challenging, but thankfully the Web community is hard at work creating flexible, downright innovative design patterns. We'll look at how to tackle layout, navigation, images, data tables, and really anything else you can put in an interface.
- Development Best Practices – The way we build websites has changed. We’ll discuss mobile-first development, CSS techniques, “support” vs “optimization”, device testing and more to help you develop future-friendly web experiences.
Brad Frost is a web designer, speaker, writer, and consultant located in beautiful Pittsburgh, PA. He’s passionate about creating Web experiences that look and function beautifully on the never-ending stream of connected devices, and is constantly tweeting, writing and speaking about it. He’s also helped create some tools and resources for web designers, including This Is Responsive, Pattern Lab, Styleguides.io, WTF Mobile Web, and Mobile Web Best Practices.
Questions? Contact us on @upfrontconf or firstname.lastname@example.org.